Essentials of Fetal and Uterine Monitoring, Fifth Edition (Paperback)
Written for labor and delivery nurses, nurse midwives, and maternal-child and family birth nurses, Essentials of Fetal and Uterine Monitoring, Fifth Edition, expertly presents how to identify fetal well-being and the signs of potential fetal and uterine compromise. An accurate interpretation of fetal heart rate patterns and uterine activity helps to ensure the safest labor and delivery process for mother and baby.
Chapters present the best practices for distinguishing normal from abnormal fetal heart rate patterns and uterine activity. Designed in an engaging workbook-style format with step-by-step instruction, this evidence-based resource is for the beginning learner as well as the seasoned professional.
- Covers systematic assessment of the pregnant patient
- Addresses external and internal fetal and maternal monitoring
- Includes a step-by-step guide to fetal monitoring equipment and procedures
- Based on peer-reviewed clinically applicable research
- Contains detailed reproductions of actual fetal monitor tracings
- Clarifies differences between maternal and fetal heart rate patterns
- Contains a dedicated section on chronic hypoxia, acute asphyxia, and the nursing role
- Identifies ineffective actions that can delay timely interventions
- Sets forth legal issues
- Provides skill-testing exercises
- Includes a NEW evidence-based section on normal vs. excessive uterine activity discussing prevention of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy
- Increased focus on the uterus and the effect of contractions on fetal health.
- All relevant sections updated to include latest evidence, research, equipment, clinical practice considerations, and interventions.