Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land (Paperback)
Reminiscent of the classic Whole Earth Catalog, Country Wisdom & Know-How is the most complete volume on every aspect of country and self-sustained living-from home and garden to barn and beyond.
Compiled from the information in Storey Publishing's landmark series of "Country Wisdom Bulletins," this comprehensive collection offers step-by-step instructions on nearly 200 individual topics, providing everything you need to know about sustainability, self-sufficiency, homesteading, and DIY living. Topics include:
- Animals: attracting backyard birds; building bathouses and birdfeeders; training and caring for cats and dogs; raising rabbits, ducks, and game birds; buying and selling horses; building chicken coops; beginning beekeeping; butchering livestock
- Cooking: recipes for all seasons; the basics of bread baking; making cheese, butter, and yogurt; cooking game; preserving and pickling; homebrew equipment and making homemade wine
- Crafts: stenciling, quilting, and basket-weaving; making wreaths, potpourri, and natural soaps; homemade gifts and decorations
- Gardening: starting your garden; caring for flowers and shrubs; controlling weeds; landscaping; growing vegetables, root crops, fruits, berries, kitchen herbs, and more
- Health and Wellbeing: natural home remedies; herbs for lifelong health; essential oils and aromatherapy; teas and recipes for a healthy diet
- Home: simple home repairs; building furniture; restoring hardwood floors; making curtains; building fences, root cellars, and smokehouses
- And much more!
Storey Publishing, located in North Adams, Massachusetts, is one of the most respected and trusted publishers in the categories of country living, crafts, pets, and animals.