Moon Anchorage, Denali & the Kenai Peninsula: National Parks Road Trips, Outdoor Adventures, Wildlife Excursions (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
- Flexible itineraries including four days in Anchorage, four days in Denali National Park, day cruises, and a 10-day adventure covering the best of the Kenai Peninsula
- Strategic advice for hikers, adventure sports lovers, wildlife enthusiasts, budget travelers, and more
- Must-see highlights and outdoor experiences: Embark on a cruise to admire stunning fjords and watch brown bears catch wild salmon from a river. Go skiing at a mountain resort or hike through alpine forests. Dine on fresh king crab at the best restaurants in Anchorage or catch your own halibut on a fishing expedition. Take an intrepid "flightseeing" tour to secluded glacier landings in Denali National Park and discover the best spots to watch the northern lights dance across the sky
- Expert advice from Homer local Don Pitcher on when to go, where to stay, and how to get around
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background on the landscape, wildlife, history, and local culture, plus up-to-date information about health and safety, transportation, and recreation
Expanding your trip? Check out Moon Alaska.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
Don landed what seemed the coolest job on the planet shortly after grad school: being flown around Alaska's massive Wrangell-St. Elias National Park in a helicopter while conducting fire research. Wild places continued to beckon, and over the next fifteen years Don built backcountry trails, worked as a wilderness ranger, mapped grizzly habitat, and operated salmon weirs: anything to avoid an office job. After that first season in Alaska, he spent three months in the South Pacific, and quickly found himself addicted to travel. His explorations eventually took him to thirty-five countries and all fifty states.
Don is also the author of Moon San Juan Islands. He served as editor for Best Places Alaska and is a contributor to Triporati.com and other websites. Don's photos have appeared in a multitude of publications and advertisements, and his fine art prints are sold in many Alaska and Washington galleries.
Don lives in Homer, Alaska with his wife, Karen Shemet, and their children, Aziza and Rio. When not busy on other projects, he also works as a wedding photographer and volunteer radio DJ. Visit donpitcherphotography.com to read his blog and learn more about his writing and photography projects.
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times