I Just Want This Done: How Smart, Successful People Get Divorced without Losing their Kids, Money, and Minds (Hardcover)
How to Move on With Your Life Without Losing Everything
Divorce is the intersection of everything we hold dear in life: love, sex, money, and children. When those are threatened, people get angry. Logical and reasoned decision-making spirals to power plays and finger-pointing, and potentially open warfare. Without a clear head, divorce is a lose-lose for everyone except the lawyers.
It doesn't have to be that way. Family law attorney Raiford Palmer has helped clients find a faster, more peaceful, less costly alternative to "World War III" divorce cases. Unfortunately, some divorce lawyers (and their clients who don't know better) fight it out, at great expense to the divorcing spouses. Worse, divorcing parties fail to consider the all-important cost-benefit analysis to assess their chances in a case, so they end up chasing legal strategies that are not worth the trouble.
In I Just Want This Done, Raif guides the reader through the divorce process, from filing through resolution. With step-by-step advice, practical tips, and never-do-at-any-cost warnings, I Just Want This Done teaches:
- What matters and what doesn't in divorce
- How to know if reconciliation is possible or not
- How typical legal advice risks everything
- How to choose the right divorce lawyer
- How to be a smart client
- The 22 myths most people believe about divorce
- Your four case resolution options
- What the "meta case" is and how to win it
- The four true costs of divorce and how to minimize them
- How to protect your business and career during divorce
- The do's and don'ts of child custody
- How (and why) to hire a divorce coach
- How to handle new significant others
- How to not be painted as a jerk
If you want to avoid the divorce swamp, regain control of your future, and keep your kids, money, mind, and happiness, this book is for you.