Best of One Tank Trips: Great Getaway Ideas in and Around Ohio (Paperback)
Discover the best and most unusual getaway ideas in and around Ohio
Longtime TV travel reporter Neil Zurcher has driven more than a million miles in Ohio and nearby states to find great local travel destinations for his "One Tank Trips" reports. This book collects his all-time favorites, including ...
- The world's largest indoor train display.
- The certified best spot in the state for stargazing.
- Ohio's top FREE attraction.
- A historic village where you can ride an authentic replica canal boat.
- Beautiful bridges, including the world's longest covered bridge.
- Two haunted state reformatories.
- A ride-through wildlife park with 500 exotic animals from six continents.
- One of the last open-air drive-in restaurants, unchanged since the 1950s.
- A place where you can drag-race in your family car--legally
- An Amish hardware store selling all non-electric tools, appliances, toys, and more.
- The only World War II submarine still in original condition.
- The Center of the World--really.
And dozens of other special places
Neil Zurcher writes ...
I skipped over the obvious big "super" attractions because you have probably already heard about them or have been there. What I try to do is direct you to lesser known, hidden away gems in the tourist world that might not attract lots of attention, but are still very worthwhile as a place to visit.
I've tried to mix in destinations that my viewers and readers have told me they also enjoyed. Whether it was a slice of real prize-winning home-made pie in a diner in Jefferson, Ohio or a chance to fly on a life-size replica of the first airplane sold by the Wright Brothers in Dayton. I show you where you can sail across tree-tops and crawl through rock caverns. There is even a park in northwest Ohio where you, and the kids, can dig for prehistoric life.
No matter what you like to do on a holiday or vacation, I think you will find something in this book to excite and entertain you.